Thursday, September 13, 2012

Remembrance


All over the country, and indeed, all over the world a few days ago we remembered the acts both terrible and heroic of September 11, 2001. Eleven years ago I sat with my best friend, Lisa, in a parking lot  in Newport, RI drinking Dunkin Donuts coffee and listening to the radio.  We were incredulous that such news about the Twin Towers, the Pentagon, and a remote field in Pennsylvania was unfolding before us.  I remember being thankful that our children were tucked safely in school and we could shield them from the horror of the day.
I could never have imagined that we would be where we are eleven years later.  Like so many others, the tempo of our lives forever changed that day.  Between us, Lisa and I have five children that have graduated or are attending the United States Military Academy.  My oldest son has deployed twice and my youngest son deploys this winter....all having followed their fathers' footsteps into what we proudly, and a little grudgingly, call "the family business".
My sons have lost more friends than any one should at such young ages. I grieve with my children and for my children over the deaths of their brave and honorable friends. 
At our 9/11 Memorial ceremony, I sat and listened to the roll call of names of the Big Red One Soldiers that gave their lives this year and I couldn't help but think of their mothers. Each name, so thoughtfully picked out when they were born.  Each mother tenderly holding that sweet new baby whispering blessings for a long and prosperous life filled with love and laughter.  No mother thinking of a time that her precious child, whose name she chose ever so carefully, would grow up to have their name read at a public memorial ceremony honoring their ultimate sacrifice.  My heart is broken in a million pieces for mothers who will never have another night of peaceful sleep.  
Almost everyone I know wears a KIA bracelet. Mine bears the name of SGT Andrew McConnell, a high school classmate of my sons'. An Army brat, Andrew was a serious, goal oriented young man and the oldest of five sisters.  I remember him fondly and his burning desire to join the Army.  Andrew was killed Sept 14, 2009 in Afghanistan.  I think of his mother often and I grieve with her from afar.
I don't believe we live in a fully grateful nation. I believe there are far too many of our fellow citizens who 'do not know and do not care to know how we live' and the sacrifices our sons and daughters make of their own free will.  This small group of amazing people, "the less than 1%",  sacrifice so that we ALL may live without fear....I remember them, I remember their mothers, everyday...not just September 11th.... and you should too.

In memory of 
Ed Murphy
Andrew McConnell
Chase Prasnicki
Todd Lambka
Dimitri DelCastillo
Michael Cerrone
Faith Hinkley
David Lodwick


No comments:

Post a Comment