Thursday, June 7, 2012

The House Kitchen

 I talked a little about the kitchen at Quarters One in my last post and, in keeping with my original intent of the blog which was to tour these historic quarters, I've written a little more about the kitchen and adjacent mudroom.
NOT the kitchen at Quarters One, but, my dream kitchen instead, a photo found on Pinterest!
Our family has endured some pretty interesting kitchens living in military quarters. One had a view of the shopette, one was so narrow you couldn't open the refrigerator door all the way, another had unstoppable mice, and several didn't have dishwashers or air conditioning.  
But, kitchen life changed dramatically when we moved into Quarters One!
The kitchen was originally built with a butler's pantry, I'm sure it had cool stone or wood floors. In 1935 the butler's pantry was removed and the kitchen expanded to the depth of the house.  At some point, some very unattractive lighting, flooring, and cabinetry was installed.  It's really a professional
kitchen meant for entertaining and not cozy family living like the one pictured above.  It has two of everything, except the wine cooler and ice maker. In addition, there are 2 refrigerators and a freezer in the basement! It was certainly put to much better use when Candice was here. I'm afraid I don't quite do it justice.  When we are entertaining I usually don't let anyone in the kitchen because I don't like for people to see a mess...when the doors are shut it means do not enter! So here's a rare glimpse of a clean kitchen... I've included the sweet little mudroom adjacent to the kitchen, too.
Before Candice deployed she kept the food belonging to Q1 in the left fridge and we used the right.
When items are purchased with protocol funds, they have to be kept separated.
This view of the kitchen, with a double sink, looks onto the back patio and used to be the butler's pantry.
The kitchen window over the original sink is shady but has a beautiful view.
Viking oven and Falk Copper Pots from Belgium that I mentioned in my last post. Here is the original sink with a window that looks out toward St. Mary's chapel.  This is also where items belonging to Q1 were kept. Empty cabinets now. It makes me kind of sad!
Standing in what was the butler's pantry, the door to the kitchen was just at the end of this island. We often sit here and eat breakfast.  I made long panel curtains for the window to try to warm up the large space a bit.  When we entertained,  Candice and her team would set up a large, portable work table in the space. I still do that when I entertain, it makes preparations so much easier.
    
There is a ceramic stove top on the left I have never used! Why would I with a cool Viking?
More counter space! The steps in the back were once for the servants to move easily and unseen
from the basement to the fourth floor.
I had the opportunity to meet Paula Deen a few years ago!
Adjacent to the kitchen is a mudroom probably once used for deliveries and for workers to come and go from Quarters One.  It was built sometime after 1887 as evidenced by the exterior limestone wall which is now an interior wall. I would imagine it was added around the same time the kitchen was expanded. It was so sweet I just had to decorate it. Since this is the way we sometmes enter the house it makes us feel welcome!
A bright sunny spot that says "Welcome Home"!
A pot of oregano makes the little mudroom smell so fresh!
This bench from Germany was made from an antique quarter bed.
Of course, I had to add a chandelier no room is complete to me without one!
Over the door leading to the patio, another souvenir from Germany!


Thank you for reading and if you're interested in more history and happenings at Quarters One, please follow us on our Quarters One Facebook page.
(www.facebook.com/QuartersOne)
And until next time....
Duty First!


No comments:

Post a Comment