Monday, May 21, 2012

The Inner Circle

Without a doubt it is a privilege to be selected to command a Division in the United States Army. It is a position reserved for those Officers who have been promoted to Major General, commonly referred to as simply "2 star".
Commanding General's Mounted Color Guard at the Division Change of Command May 2011
Along with the job of division commander comes several important positions that make up the personal staff of the commanding general. Bill is fortunate to have been able to hand pick those Soldiers. Two of those positions, in particular, are his Aide de Camp and his Enlisted Aid.  At the 2 star level the Aide de Camp is a seasoned or senior CPT and the Enlisted Aid is most likey a SGT (Sergeant) or SSG (Staff Sergeant). The Enlisted Aid is generally in the culinary field and may or may not have had Enlisted Aid schooling. Yes, there is such a thing!  Both positions are voluntary, interviews are required, and the commander makes his selection based on personality and qualifications.  
Bill's Aide de Camp, Will, is a tall, good looking guy with a quick smile that makes those around him smile too. An Army brat with a deep southern drawl he reminds me of my own Army sons.   The job of the Aide de Camp (in my own words) is to be a jack of all trades. He knows where the general should be, when he should be there, and what uniform he should be in.  He can pull a pair of glasses, cover, pen, speech, or schedule out of nowhere. There are a hundred other things he does as well and he makes it all happen without any seams.  You can always spot the Aide de Camp...he's the young guy with the back pack following closely behind the GO.
Bill, DCSM, and Will
Bill's Enlisted Aid is a Staff Sergeant.  Candice is (speaking like a mom here) a cute, smart, and funny young lady from South Carolina.  This is something we have in common as I am also from the same great state.  In addition to being a Soldier, she was professionally trained in culinary arts at Johnson and Wales and the University of South Carolina. I have no doubt she can wield a gun as easily as she wields her very cool set of chef's knives.  AND, as if that wasn't a full plate, she's an Army spouse, too.
I don't see Will everyday, but I do see Candice everyday.  It's something you have to get used to when your home is someone's place of duty.  She has an office at Quarters One and spends a lot of her time in our very large kitchen...which (and I'm sure she's weary of hearing me say) I call a hers and hers kitchen because of its size and set up!
A Viking gas oven is adorned with my beloved Falk copper pots from Belgium, I was happy to win Candice's approval of these!

The professional kitchen at Quarters One has two of everything, great for entertaining!
The duties of the Enlisted Aid are vast and among them include managing the entertainment portion of the general's quarters and overseeing the formal entertaining.  Relationships between the Enlisted Aid and the general's spouse can be very tricky. In a bad situation you tolerate each other but in an ideal situation you become like family. Besides going over the official rules together we also laid the groundwork for our own relationship.  We call each other by our first names and we often start the day with coffee and discuss business. I always consult with her on every aspect of the goings on at Quarters One. She is good at telling me when enough is enough and always ready with a compliment for the millionth time I've moved something around. I value both her professional opinion and her friendship. She takes no orders from me but I believe we work together with mutual respect.  I used to laugh and tell people she was my best friend... I spend more time with her than anyone else during my day!
Coffee served in the dining room with my favorite Big Red One cups!
When we entertain at Quarters One Candice puts together a great culinary team which always includes Will. Without exception her team is talented and first class. While guests enjoy the fruits of the team's labor they don't know what's going on in the kitchen.  I know that there is precise teamwork along with an easy bantering and camaraderie... I often wish I were in there instead of in the dining room.  Will and Candice, although always strictly professional, have become part of our family. They adhere to a strict code of silence regarding our personal lives and I always feel that I can speak freely among them.
Sturgis Field through my favorite chandelier that would not be hanging in Quarters One if not for Candice!
Will and Candice deployed with the Division in April.  Their jobs go where the Commander's job goes.  I am alone to manage Quarters One. Nothing gets done as well or as quickly. I miss morning coffee, Candice calling everything "crazy" in a way only her South Carolina accent can pronounce.  I miss the little group I have come to adore as if they were my own children. I pray for them daily and I am grateful for their dedication and continued service to our country .
 Things will never be the same at Quarters One again for the Mayville Family. When the Division returns it will be time for Will to take another job and for us to move again. If we are fortunate, we may be able to cross paths with Candice again.
I am richer for having known them and I am forever grateful for the care they take of my husband while he leads the 1st Infantry Division. His job could not be done as well without them.

 Follow Quarters One on Facebook
(www.facebook.com/QuartersOne)
 and until next time...
Duty first!




7 comments:

  1. I look so forward to your Quarters One blogs. It is the only reading I do now that doesn't have something to do autoreactive T cells and cytokines (yes, it's as boring as it seems) or doggies going "woof woof" (the girls really like doggies). Thank you again!
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello , I really like your blog .

    Stranger from Australia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I best describe u as in proverbs 29

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's very kind, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post and blog! I love the look inside a part of the Army that most Army spouses rarely, if ever, see. I am glad you've had such wonderful experiences with both your Aide de Camp and your Enlisted Aid. My hope is that you will cross paths with each of them again in time. Goodbyes are never easy but the Army is small enough that it's often "see you later" instead.

    Have a wonderful week and our prayers are with your husband and all of our men and women overseas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much, Homefront Six! I appreciate your comments!! Shand :)

    ReplyDelete