Thursday, June 14, 2012

"Happy Birthday Cupcake"

The past few days all of Fort Riley celebrated Victory Week. Most divisions have a time that they celebrate their heritage and it's usually somewhere around the Army's Birthday which is June 14...Flag Day.  At Fort  Riley the week is full of athletic competitions, dinners, ceremonies, and remembrances for those Soldiers who have made the ultimate sacrifice.  Fort Riley knows how to do it right, first class.  I was honored to have been able to attend so many events and to meet Chris Daughtry when he kicked off the week with a concert Sunday night.
Back stage with Daughtry
The week culminated today, June 14, with a big cake cutting celebration to honor both the Army and the Big Red One.  The division also celebrated downrange in Afghanistan.

DCSM Charles Sasser and Bill cutting the Army and BRO's birthday cake in Afghanistan with the youngest Soldier in the headquarters!
This picture came from the 1ID Facebook page
June 14 has an extra special meaning for our family because it is also the birthday of our daughter, Margie, our sweet Flag Day baby.
Her first Flag Day!
It's a day of joy for many reasons but I am oddly weepy and melancholy.  I can't shake it and I feel so frustrated that I feel this way. But, quite frankly, I'm tired of spending celebrations alone. Our sons' birthdays are coming up in a few weeks as is our 28th wedding anniversary.  All this happiness makes me sad! I'm sure every spouse of a deployed Soldier, regardless of rank, feels this way. I know I'm not the only one.
I lamented this fact to my friends, Beth and Polly (two of my sister GO wives), on the ride home from the last ceremony this morning. We all agreed that so much celebrating made us feel more cognizant of the miles between us and our spouses.
After a moment of silence and reflection my sweet friend, Polly, the spouse of our British Brigadier, posed a question. In her beautiful, soft British accent that sounds like sparkles and sweet tea she asked,
"So what are you going to do to change the way you feel today?"
At first I thought she may be asking for advice but then I realized it was more of an offering of advice. What was I going to do to change the way I felt? In reality, only I have the power to control that.
So I reminded myself that I was blessed to celebrate the Army's 237th Birthday, the 1 ID's 95th,  and all that it means for our great nation and those of us fortunate to live here. I reminded myself how blessed we are to have three beautiful children, a loving family, and a community of good friends. I reminded myself that Bill is, in fact, coming home one day when so many others are not. I also reminded myself that it's ok to be a little sad amongst the celebrations...it serves as a reminder that you truly love the one you miss.
 ...thank you for that, too, Polly!
So, I end the day happier than I began.  Maybe it's the words of wisdom from a friend. Maybe it's even the celebrations, big and small, that remind us that life is worth living it everyday...but maybe, just maybe, it's the cupcakes?!
"Happy Birthday Cupcake" from the Gatherings on the Prairie, designed by Rob Dudley. I love to give these in lieu of cards for birthdays.
Happy Birthday, Margie!
  Til next time...
DUTY FIRST!

4 comments:

  1. Very well done, Shand!! Thanks for sharing! Wil this be a book when your time is done at Fort Riley?

    ReplyDelete
  2. such beautiful sharing ,your blog makes me come back over and over again just to check for new post .I had loved one that had been deployed , unfortunately mine didn't make it back . I would like to send much prayers to MG Mayville and all his men out there !!A bible verse especially for MG Mayville and his men

    Psalm 91

    Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
    will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.[a]
    will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
    my God, in whom I trust.”
    Surely he will save you
    from the fowler’s snare
    and from the deadly pestilence.
    He will cover you with his feathers,
    and under his wings you will find refuge;
    his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
    You will not fear the terror of night,
    nor the arrow that flies by day,
    nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
    nor the plague that destroys at midday.
    A thousand may fall at your side,
    ten thousand at your right hand,
    but it will not come near you.
    You will only observe with your eyes
    and see the punishment of the wicked.
    If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,”
    and you make the Most High your dwelling,
    no harm will overtake you,
    no disaster will come near your tent
    For he will command his angels concerning you
    to guard you in all your ways;
    they will lift you up in their hands,
    so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
    You will tread on the lion and the cobra;
    you will trample the great lion and the serpent.
    “Because he[b] loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him;
    I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
    He will call on me, and I will answer him;
    I will be with him in trouble,
    I will deliver him and honor him.
    With long life I will satisfy him
    and show him my salvation. ”

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! And I am definitely thinking about a book!! :)

    ReplyDelete