Monday, July 23, 2012

Salad Bar Social

"Some of the nicest as well as liveliest parties I have ever attended were in cramped little quarters that were made gay and brilliant with loving attention and pleasant talk. The raw material of a successful party, never forget, is neither food nor drink-it's the people."  
The Army Wife by Nancy Shea (1948)


I love this rustic rooster that stands guard in our breakfast room!
Anyone who knows me knows I'm a little bit of a control freak when it comes to entertaining...surprise! (ok, maybe more than just entertaining) I don't think I'm the best cook, decorator, or hostess, by any means. I'm surrounded by friends and neighbors who do a much better job than I do. But, in my own space I like to control it all and make my self a little crazy... eek!
I have borrowed these jars from Frances numerous times and they've held everything from salad to vodka punch!
Recently, we hosted a "Salad Bar Social" at Quarters One for our 1ID commanders' and CSMs' spouses. I provided the salad and dressings and I asked (gasp!!) that everyone bring their favorite salad topping.  Of course, the control freak part of me went out and bought tons of toppings just in case we ended up with 30 bowls of black olives!  Needless to say, we did not end up with 30 bowls of black olives, in fact, we didn't have one duplication. 
Dressing looks much prettier in vintage jars!
The finished table...it was light and perfect for summer!
We entertain often at Quarters One.  At our level in the Army I believe it is my place to take care of those who are directly taking care of our Soldiers and their families.  It's not my business to be "in" the business of brigades, battalions, and 03 level commands, unless I'm asked for advice or to intervene. (Been there, done that) Brigade and battalion level command spouses have a tough job, if they choose to take on the role. I see my role as a supporting one for them and their amazing sacrifices and selfless service to those in their respective units.  
We had a simple bar with red and white wine, water,  sweet tea and, of course, vodka...  We also had a fabulous dessert bar, thanks to Frances who brought an amazing banana pudding that fed us all!
Thanks, Tracy, for my "Drink Me" bottle opener!
Anytime I can entertain at Quarters One to thank someone or a group of people I love to do so. Bill and I both feel strongly about that. So, to our wonderful spouses... Thank you!! You have our gratitude and, I try to say this often, please consider yourselves thanked from us...we truly appreciate all you do seen and unseen.
Sweet hostess gift of lemon mint...one of my favorite things to  receive...thanks, Sue!
Our Salad Social Menu
for 30
5 bags of greens mix for each jar (we used 3)
Garlic bread sticks (from a can, roll in butter, and parmesan cheese, sprinkle with garlic salt)
we used 4 rolls
Fruit, Pepperidge Farm cookies, and Banana Pudding for dessert
Wine, both red and white, water, sweet tea, and a bottle of vodka for the bar

For more photos of historic Quarters One and the Salad Bar Social look for us on Facebook
(www.facebook.com/QuartersOne)

'Til next time...
Duty First!!

No comments:

Post a Comment